- $500,000 refurbishment of historic Fairbridge cottage for young people in need
- Further $500,000 from Royalties for Regions to rebuild Fairbridge’s Evelyn Cottage
- Aboriginal apprentices benefit from building projects
- New accommodation supports pre-release prisoner employment program
Housing Minister Bill Marmion opened the $500,000 refurbishment of Fairbridge’s historic Saumarez Cottage, providing eight supported accommodation units for young people in need.
Funded by the State Government, the construction project has provided training and employment for 21 apprentices working in the Aboriginal Construction Training Initiative. Some of these apprentices will also live in the cottage.
“Fairbridge’s accommodation strategy is an important step forward for young people requiring affordable, supported housing in Pinjarra,” Mr Marmion said.
“The renovation of Saumarez Cottage aligns closely with the State Government’s Affordable Housing Strategy 2010-2020, which aims to stimulate the supply of affordable housing and increase the State’s social and economic development.”
Regional Development Minister Terry Redman said he was pleased to announce $500,000 from the Royalties For Regions Delivering Affordable Housing to Key Workers Program would go towards rebuilding Fairbridge’s Evelyn Cottage, to provide another eight units.
“The additional construction will assist the young apprentices to complete their studies,” Mr Redman said.
“This important initiative will also boost supported accommodation for participants in Fairbridge’s award-winning Binjareb Aboriginal employment scheme.”
The Binjareb venture gives pre-release prisoners mining industry training, supporting and transitioning them into jobs as they leave the custodial system. So far, 38 young men have graduated into the workforce.
- Completion of the six-month renovation of Evelyn Cottage expected in early 2015
- Both cottages are classified by the National Trust and listed on the Register of National Estate and the WA Heritage Council’s Register of Heritage Places
Housing Minister’s office - 6552 6800
Regional Development Minister’s office - 6552 6700